MARCHING MAROON and WHITE
Band Boosters Association, Inc.
March 19, 2015
MMW Band Boosters Association, Inc. BYLAWS
The name of this organization shall be the Marching Maroon and White Band Boosters Association, Incorporated hereafter referred to as the MMW Band Boosters Association (MMW BBA). The MMW BBA was incorporated on April 2, 2015.
ARTICLE II-PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE
It shall be the primary purpose of this MMW BBA to promote the well-being of the MMW Band Program.
To achieve this purpose, the MMW BBA aims to:
A. Support the MMW Band Program financially and morally, while including associate members and inspiring greater participation from the MMW Band Program alumni.
a. This will be achieved through scholarships, financial assistance during marching and concert seasons, band camp and upon the request of the band director.
A. The MMW BBA shall be a non-profit, nonsectarian, and non-partisan organization.
A. Membership shall be open to all former band members and associates who are supporters of the band program.
Types of Membership and Dues
A. Members in good standing are entitled to attend general and special meetings; to vote on all questions coming before the membership; to hold office and serve on standing or special committees.
B. Membership dues and privileges are determined by the Executive Board. Only those people whose membership is paid for the current year will be members in good standing.
C. Membership dues are collected at the beginning of the fiscal year from May through the end of April.
Termination of Membership
The Executive Board may, at its discretion, terminate the membership of any person at any time by returning that person's current dues.
An individual may be terminated with a hearing and thirty (30) days advance written notice from the Executive Board for good and sufficient cause or actions which are counter to the purposes and interests of the MMW BBA. Such actions require a majority vote of the Executive Board.
ARTICLE V-GOVERNING STRUCTURE
A. The elected officers shall be of the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The appointed advisory officer is the Parliamentarian.
A. The Executive Board shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Director of the Band Program.
B. The Executive Board shall meet prior to the beginning and end of the fiscal year and as needed. A notice to every Board member shall be disseminated not less than five (5) days prior to the meeting. The Secretary shall take minutes.
C. The Executive Board also consists of the positions of Parliamentarian, Logistics/Media Coordinator, as appointed by the President.
A. The Standing Committees are Logistics/Media Coordination, Fundraising, By-Laws, Nominating, Scholarship.
B. Standing Committees will meet as needed. Written reports shall be submitted to the President no less than 7 days prior to a monthly meeting.
The President may appoint Special Committees as needed.
A. Special Committees shall be established for designated periods of time to perform specific tasks.
B. After completing their tasks, the committees shall report to the President.
C. Special Committee members do not have automatic voting privileges nor serve on the Executive Board.
A. The fiscal year of MMW BBA is May 1st through April 30th.
B. If the MMW BBA dissolves, all remaining money will be donated to the AAMU MMW Foundation.
General Body Meetings
A. The MMW BBA shall meet on the second Sunday unless the date falls on a holiday.
B. No meetings will take place in May and June.
C. The meeting notice will go out seven days prior to the meeting. Minutes from the monthly meetings shall be provided/distributed to the membership within fourteen (14) days following the meeting.
D. All regularly scheduled meetings can be rescheduled at the discretion of the Executive Board.
Annual and Special Meetings
A. The Annual Meeting of the membership shall be each year in the month of May for the election of officers, members at large and the transaction of any necessary business.
B. Special meetings of the membership may be called at the President’s discretion, direction of the Director of the Band Program, or at the written request of at least 10% of the membership. Notices of special meetings shall state the matters to be considered.
C. At least one week's notice of the Annual or any special meeting shall be given.
A. The quorum for transaction of business is 10% of the current financial membership.
B. A majority vote of those voting is necessary to transact any business brought before the membership including the election of officers, except as otherwise noted in these Bylaws.
Voting Privileges and Rules
A. MMW BBA members must be in good financial standing at least sixty (60) days prior to any election to vote in the election.
B. Voting by proxy is not allowed.
C. Voting shall be by secret ballot or by any other means voted on by the membership.
D. Any member who receives a majority of votes cast shall be declared elected.
Election of Officers
Amendment of Officers: Elections will be held until 2025 Calendar Year at the recommendation of the current Executive Board. Superseding all terms of office as stated below.
A. The elected officers of MMW BBA shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
B. All positions are open to the MMW BBA members during the election period. Nominations are open to all MMW BBA members except for the President, to which the President must have been a member of the MMW Band Program.
C. The outgoing officer will provide an orientation to the incoming officer to facilitate a smooth transition of power. The orientation will occur during the two weeks prior to taking office.
A. All officers shall be members in good financial standing for at least sixty (60) days prior to an election and must be present when the election is conducted.
B. Candidates for President must have been a member of the MMW Band Program.
C. The President may not serve as chairperson of any standing or special committee.
D. The President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer are preferred, but not required to be in or around the city of Huntsville, Alabama; however, must be accessible to the MMW Band Staff.
Term of Office
A. The term of office shall be two (2) years for all elected offices with a maximum of three (3) terms.
B. Elections will take place during the Annual Meeting of the membership in May.
C. Term of office begins two (2) weeks after the election date (or number of days after the election).
D. The President and Secretary shall be elected in even years.
E. The Vice President and Treasurer shall be elected in odd years.
F. Any officer filling an unexpired term of greater than six (6) months shall be eligible for election of two (2) full consecutive terms, with a maximum of three terms.
Vacancies in Office
A. Should any office become vacant, the President shall appoint a member with the approval of the Executive Board to fill the vacancy until the next regular election.
B. Should any Officer or Standing Committee Chairperson fail to perform the duties of that office, the Executive Board may request that Officer’s or chairperson resignation and declare that office vacant.
C. Should the office of President become vacant, the Vice President will become the President. The new President shall appoint a member with the approval of the Executive Board to fill the position of Vice President until the next election.
Duties of Elected Officers
A. The President is the executive officer responsible for the operation of the association.
1. Presides at meetings, calls regular or special meetings of the Board or and membership as needed.
2. Serves as Chairperson of the Board and presides at the Annual Meeting.
3. Prepares and presents a report of the past years’ business at the Annual meeting.
4. Appoints the chairpersons of standing or special committees.
5. The President shall not appoint nor serve as an ex-officio member of the Nominating Committee.
B. The Vice President shall:
1. Function as President in the absence or illness of the President.
2. In the event of the President's resignation or incapacity to serve, duties shall succeed to the Vice-President’s office until the next regular election of officers.
3. The President may delegate to the Vice President such official or other duties as deemed necessary for the conduct of business.
4. Proposes, develops, and implements programs, projects and activities for the ensuing year.
C. The Secretary shall:
1. Records and presents to the membership accurate minutes of the general body meetings, Executive Board meetings and meetings assigned by the President.
2. Maintains an up-to-date roster of association members, attendees, and subscribers, which is distributed to the membership Annually.
3. Schedules general body and Board meetings and sends the invitation to attendees.
4. Sends notices and flyers; receives and distributes information from other groups and organizations to the association members.
D. The Treasurer shall:
1. Responsible for the collection of membership dues and charges.
2. Responsible for the disbursement of funds to the MMW Band Program and for payment of authorized expenditures.
3. Issues checks for organizational needs when presented with proper receipts and documentation.
4. Advises the Executive Board about the finances of the organization and assists in formulating the budgets for the regular and special activities.
i. The Treasurer will prepare the budget annually and present it to the Executive Board for review.
ii. Upon approval, the budget will be presented to the membership for review and approval.
5. Prepares and presents financial reports at the general body meetings, Annual meetings, and Executive Board meetings.
E. The Historian shall:
1. Capture and maintain pictures throughout the MMW BBA
2. Maintains and safekeeps the archives and documents of the MMW BBA.
3. Keeps track of all historical data and documents for the MMW BBA and the MMW Band Program.
ARTICLE IX-STANDING COMMITTEES
The standing committees of the MMW BBA shall be:
A. The Bylaws Committee
1. Is responsible for the editing of the Bylaws.
2. The Secretary is the committee chair.
3. Financial members of the association can volunteer to be members of the committee.
4. Bylaws will be reviewed by the committee every two years to determine if any updates are required.
5. Recommendations for updates can be submitted by the Executive Board and financial members of the association to the Secretary at any time.
6. The committee members will meet to discuss recommendations and conduct editing of the Bylaws.
7. A draft version of the Bylaws will be submitted to the Executive Board for review.
8. All financial members will receive a copy of the draft version no later than 30 days prior to voting on the updates.
B. Fundraising Committee
1. Ensures a specific fundraising target, to identify the goal to be raised.
2. Identifies specific and potential sources of funds from a diverse mix of sources.
3. Develops a list of fundraising techniques that can be utilized by the association to boost the treasury, assists with the raising of revenue and scholarship dollars.
C. Logistics/Media Coordination
1. Prepare, promote and make announcements on behalf of the MMW BBA.
2. Creates a marketing strategic plan and distributes it internally and externally, through multiple media to promote and support continuous exposure to the association, which will encourage membership growth and retention, as well as attract funders, donors, and supporters.
3. Maintains social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
D. The Nominating Committee
1. Two months before the Annual Meeting, the President appoints a Nominating Committee and Chairperson of three or more members of the MMW BBA.
2. The Nominating Committee Chairperson shall accept nominations and recommendations from members for the open offices.
3. The Nominating Committee will meet to determine eligibility of the nominees, whether nominees will consent to serve if elected, and shall prepare a slate of candidates with at least one nominee for each position.
4. The Nominating Committee Chairperson will contact nominees to confirm their interest in candidacy.
5. The Nominating Committee reports its slate of nominees for existing vacancies to the membership two weeks prior to the Annual Meeting.
6. Additional nominations may also be made by written petition of five members or from the floor at the Annual Meeting; provided the consent of the nominees has been obtained. and must be present.
7. A majority of the votes are required for election to office.
8. In the event no candidate meets the threshold of votes, there will be a runoff election between the top two candidates.
E. The Scholarship Committee
1. Shall convene annually to meet the responsibility of scholastic awards.
2. The Chair is responsible for submitting the application to the Director of Bands to disseminate to student applicants.
3. The Director of Bands and the Committee will review all applications and vote on (2) awardees; (1) Male and (1) Female.
4. Funds for the scholarships will be distributed by the Treasurer.
MMW BBA members must submit via email to the Executive Board any grievance at least five (5) days prior to a meeting called to address the issue. All parties involved must be given notification through email to the MMW BBA email; MMWbandboosters@gmail.com .
If no resolution is met, the President will function as a mediator. If a resolution is still not met, an outside mediator will be appointed.
ARTICLE X – PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE
A. All meetings of the MMW BBA shall be governed by the Parliamentary law set forth in Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised on all applicable points not covered by the Bylaws.
B. The President shall appoint the Parliamentarian.
ARTICLE XI – AMENDMENTS
Amendments to Bylaws
A. Amendments to these Bylaws may be made upon one month's written notice to members.
B. Any MMW BBA member, Board member or the Bylaws Committee member may propose amendments to the Bylaws.
C. All proposed Bylaws amendments must be presented to the Bylaws Committee Chair for review.
D. Where proposed changes conflict with existing Bylaws, or prohibited in any way, the members will be notified immediately upon review.
E. This notice must state the proposed changes.
F. A two-thirds majority vote of those voting is required for adoption.
ARTICLE XII – NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY
The MMW Band Boosters Association does not unlawfully discriminate internally or externally (in its recipients of services) based on race, political orientation, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, or any other status prohibited by applicable law in the United States.
Version 2 10JAN2021
Version 3 12SEP2023